3 Days Mikumi National Park Safari : This safari (3-day Mikumi Safari) departure From Dar es Salaam. This safari to Mikumi can be as short as two days or three days and two nights, depending on your available time and budget. It is ideal for business travelers who are only in Dar es Salaam for a short period of time, as well as tourists visiting the beaches in Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar.
Visit Mikumi National Park, one of the magnificent parks in Tanzania’s southern circuit. The Selous Game Reserve and the Mikumi constitute a distinct habitat that is bordered to the south by the Mikumi. A subspecies of giraffe that is found in the park is thought by biologists to be the connection between the Masai giraffe and the reticulated or Somali giraffe. Elephants, zebras, impalas, elands, kudus, black antelope, baboons, wildebeests, and buffaloes are among the other wildlife in the park. There are two man-made pools with hippos that are about 5 kilometers to the north of the park. The park is also home to more than 400 different species of birds.
It is important to keep in mind that the drive from Dar es Salaam to Mikumi National Park is lengthy and can take anywhere between 3 and 5 hours, depending on traffic as you leave the city of Dar es Salaam as well as the number of police checks you encounter along the way, which can take up a lot of your time. Additionally, there are a disproportionate number of speed limit signs on the road, the most noticeable of which are along parts where the speed limit is 50 km/h. On this route, speed guns will slow you down.
3 DAYS OF MIKUMI SAFARI FROM DAR ES SALAAM: WHERE TO STAY?
You are scheduled to stay at a very beautiful midrange resort like Camp Bastian on this planned 3-day safari from Dar es Salaam to Mikumi National Park, or you can choose to stay at the Matembezi Safari resort. Both lodges are situated in Mikumi Township, on the borders of the township and just outside the park. The Bastian Camp has a swimming pool on site, and the lodges have all the amenities you may expect from a fine, respectable lodge.
Alternately, you can stay in the reasonably priced Bandas (bungalows) operated by TANAPA at the Mikumi Park Bandas inside the park. If you want to upgrade, you may also stay at the premium camps like the Stanley Kopjes Camp or the Vuma Hills Tented Camp, which are located inside the park. Please request an upgrade from our safari experts.
This 3-day safari to Mikumi National Park can be extended to include a trip to the Selous Game Reserve, such as our 5-day Selous and Mikumi Safari, or it can be started from Zanzibar.
A BRIEF ITINERARY: 3 DAYS OF SAFARI MIKUMI NATIONAL PARK
The following program will serve as the general itinerary for our three-day road trip from Dar es Salaam to Mikumi National Park:
- Day 1: Morning pick up from Dar es Salaam and drive to mikumi national Park, Afternoon game drives
- Day 2: An entire day of wildlife viewing at Mikumi National Park
- Day 3: Transfer and return to Dar es Salaam after your morning game drives at Mikumi.
A DETAILED ITINERARY: 3 DAYS OF SAFARI MIKUMI NATIONAL PARK
Day 01: Dar es Salaam to Mikumi
On the first day of your 3 Days Mikumi safari, you will be picked up from your Dar es Salaam hotel or the airport and driven to Mikumi National Park via the Dar es Salaam-Morogoro highway. The park is located between the Uluguru Mountains of the Ancient Eastern Arc Mountains to the east and the Great Rift Valley Escarpments to the west. The transfer from Dar es Salaam to Mikumi takes about 3–5 hours and is not far from Dar es Salaam. You will arrive at midday and immediately proceed on a game drive in the park, followed by a picnic lunch at a picnic site. We drive to the camp for dinner and overnight later in the afternoon.
Overnight at Camp Bastian, a lovely lodge just outside Mikumi Park National Park’s limits with all the amenities you’d expect from a luxury resort. During the dry season, the resort boasts lovely grounds and a large swimming pool where you can cool yourself from the blistering African sun.
- Luxury lodging is also available (at an additional cost) at Vuma Hills Tented Camp and Mikumi Wildlife Camp.
- Midrange hotel options include Tanswiss Lodge and Mikumi Park Bandas.
Day 02: Full day at Mikumi National Park
Spend a full day game-viewing in Mikumi National Park with a packed lunch, or do morning and afternoon game-viewing with a lunch break at the lodge or tent camp. Mikumi National Park, along with the Selous Game Reserve, is part of the wider Selous Ecosystem and is home to a diverse range of bird and animal species. Giraffes, elephants, buffaloes, hippos, impalas, warthogs, zebras, wildebeests, elands, and many other antelopes may all be seen at Mikumi. Aside from wildlife drives, you can also go on a guided walking safari with an armed ranger. Spend the night at Camp Bastian or Matembezi Safari Lodge outside the park.
Day 03: Mikumi National park to Dar es Salaam
After breakfast, check out of the lodge or camp and drive back (with a picnic lunch) to Dar es Salaam, where the safari concludes. You will be dropped off at your hotel or the Dar es Salaam Airport if you are returning home or flying to Zanzibar.
If you are not in a rush, you can do one last game drive in the morning on the third day for an additional park entry fee. Please let us know well in advance if you want us to pay this for you because we need to process the payment online through the TANAPA payment system. End of a three-day safari from Dar es Salaam to Mikumi National Park.
Note: Please keep in mind that we may also book your flight from Dar es Salaam or Zanzibar if necessary. You can specify your preferred lodging option. There are both luxury and mid-range lodges and tent camps available.
PRICE: 3 DAYS OF SAFARI MIKUMI NATIONAL PARK
- A Group of Two: USD 634 per person sharing (double or twin room); you can stay at Mikumi Park Bandas for USD 580 per person sharing.
- A group of four people pays USD 460 per person for sharing two double or twin rooms.
- A group of six people pays USD 417 per person for sharing three double or twin rooms.
- Ask for a price if you are a single traveler.
- More than 6 travelers: Request a Quote
- We can tailor the program to your specific interests and budget.
THE PRICE INCLUDES
- Transport and game drives in a clean, well-maintained 4WD Land Cruiser with a photographic roof hatch
- Services of a professional English-speaking safari guide
- All park entry fees
- All game drives, as mentioned
- 02 x FB at safari lodges or a tented camp as per your itinerary
- One and a half liters of mineral water per person per day during game drives
- Wildlife Management Area Fees, where applicable
- Value Added Tax by the Tanzania Revenue Authority
THE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE
- All items of a personal nature
- Tips and gratuities for safari guides and lodge/camp staff
- Travel insurance
- Accommodation before or after the safari
- Laundry services during the safari
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks and beverages
- All flights
Kindly note that the price above is subject to change, so please get in touch with us to know the exact price for this tour at the time of booking. Either a private expedition or joining a group are options for this 3 days Mikumi National Park safari. If you want to be a part of a group, send us your inquiry, and we’ll help you join a group. The same goes for those interested in a private tour!